I’ve put it off for a while now, but I know it’s (beyond) time to give you the latest on the bluebirds. You probably remember the story up to now:
1. A surprise nest is built in a decorative birdhouse.
2. An inexperienced human rejoices!
3. Complications arise; inexperienced human worries.
4. Mama and Daddy bluebird know what to do. Four of five eggs hatch; three of four babies fledge.
5. Inexperienced human buys a regulation bluebird house and hangs it in a much better location, hoping for another nest next Spring.
6. Nest appears within two days! Within five days, four eggs are laid!
7. Mama incubates eggs.
8. Temperature hits 94 degrees four days in a row.
9. Human frets, considering all manner of cooling mechanisms. Including a misting system.
10. (She leaves the nest alone, however.)
11. On day five, Mama disappears. The eggs are left alone.
12. Days pass.
13. Weeks pass.
14. Hearts break.
15. Human accepts truth: Mama has abandoned the eggs.
16. Human comes to accept a second (more important) truth. Mama knows better than she does.
And, just because my heart needs a little lift, this recent glimpse of Harry after a bath! Isn’t he getting big?